Foundation Grants are designed to help women graduates in the final year of a PhD or DPhil with their living expenses. We do not provide funds to cover fees. To be eligible you must be registered for study or research at an approved institution of higher education in Great Britain and doing the bulk of your study in Great Britain. Foundation Grants can be up to £6,500 and are awarded in July for the following academic year.
- For women graduates in the final year of their PhD or DPhil
- Helps with living expenses, not fees
- Grants available up to £6,500
The criteria for awarding Grants are the proven needs of the applicant and her academic calibre. Competition is very great so not all qualifying applicants will receive a Grant. These are offered on a needs basis therefore not all grants will be for the maximum sum quoted or requested.
- Women graduates from Great Britain and overseas are eligible to apply.
- They must be registered for study at an institution in Great Britain and resident in Great Britain during their final fee paying or writing up year of PhD or DPhil.
- Any subject or field of study will be considered.
- There is no upper age limit.
- Evidence of ability to pay fees is required.
- Students reading for a part-time PhD or DPhil will be eligible to apply from their third year onwards.
- The Grants will be a contribution towards living expenses for one year’s academic study or research.
- The amount of the Foundation Grant awarded will be decided by FfWG.
- Grant holders must submit a written report at the end of the academic year for which the grant was awarded.
Open for applications from:
2 February 2024
Closing date for applications:
28 March 2024
“Without the grant I would basically be homeless by now. The grant has been essential for supplementing our cost of living and covering larger costs, such as buying heating oil. However, the greater impact feels as though it has given me a sense of stability and knowledge that I can support my family despite our unstable environment. When you are supported in this way, you are able to breathe a sigh of relief and believe that attaining your dreams, those you’ve worked so hard for, are a possibility.”Qudra Goodall
University of East Anglia 2023
Grants, Bursaries & Fellowships
We provide grants, bursaries and fellowships to women graduates to help with living expenses, financial crisis and other areas of their education....